Danish Refugee Council
Job: Project Manager
PLEASE REFER TO SUDAZONE WHILE APPLYING
Project Manager – Sudan
Project Manager – Central Darfur
Based in Nertiti
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been operational in Sudan since 2004. From the outset the intervention has focused on Darfur. The Programme is now based in Central Darfur - more specifically the Zalingei Corridor. The aim of the programme is to promote durable solutions for the conflict affected population through community driven processes, livelihood programming and infrastructure support. DRC undertakes life-saving assistance when deemed necessary.
The programme focuses predominantly on the conflict-affected population living outside of camps in the rural areas, and to a lesser extent the displaced living in camps. The programme seeks to improve livelihood possibilities while increasing community cohesion. The main activities implemented include agricultural/horticultural support; rehabilitation and reconstruction of schools; community development projects and various social projects including literacy & skills training, support to extremely vulnerable individuals (EVIs) and distribution of food and NFIs (if/as required). The activities are implemented with a community based approach with community driven recovery and development being a key programme area.
The programme is implemented through field offices in Zalingei, Nertiti in the Jebel Marra area, and Garsilla, while the Country Office in Khartoum supports the operation.. The Darfur programme expects to implement a portfolio of projects totalling approximately USD 3-4 million in 2013 and employs 6 international staff and about 80 national staff members. The primary donors are Danida, UNHCR, UNDP, OFDA, UNICEF and DRC itself through private fundraising.
The Project Manager is responsible for overseeing planning, implementation and monitoring of DRC projects.
He/she represents DRC vis-à-vis local authorities, donor representatives, international organizations and NGOs in the area of operation.
The Project Manager is responsible for the management of the team, as well as financial, administrative and logistical matters and for safety planning and implementation of safety precautions.
The Project Manager is supervised by and reports to the Country Director. He/she works in close cooperation with other project offices in Darfur.
Nertiti is located in Central Darfur and is located on the main conduit into Jebel Marra (the only mountain range in Darfur). Currently DRC is one of three INGOs working in Nertiti, however, Nertiti is a rather isolated and remote location, with basic living conditions and few amenities. At the moment, this expat Project Manager will be the only expat in the project.
• Planning and coordinating successful and timely and quality implementation of all projects/programs in the area of operation • Responsible for regular project documentation and reporting (collecting technical data, compiling reporting from the technical and field staff) • Conducting assessments and fact finding missions to set up new or follow-up projects, assisting in preparation of project proposals for external donors and negotiate/defend them and conceptualizing and developing sectoral and local strategies in close co-operation with the Country Director • Coordination with all actors involved in the implementation of the programme, including local partners and authorities, and ensuring that programme activities are well-coordinated with activities of other humanitarian actors in the area • Maintaining close and good collaboration with major donors and partners of the programme • Ensuring that the DRC Darfur programme is implemented in accordance with DRC standard regulations and operational procedures (e.g. Code of Conduct, HAP Principles, DRC Assistance Framework, DRC Operational Handbook and DRC Programme Handbook) • Ensuring that at all times contact with beneficiaries, target groups and representatives of authorities is conducted in a sensitive and respectful manner.
• At least 2 years of experience in an international setting, implementing Food Security and Livelihoods projects
• Strong experience in developing strategies for vocational training and/or training of farmers and communities in better farming practices. • At least 2 years’ experience in an international setting implementing Community Mobilization and Participation activities. • At least 2 years of experience managing all aspects of a field office, including finances, logistics, administration and project supervision.
Monitoring and Reporting
• Supervising implementation of the projects by monitoring and evaluation (quality control, monitoring objectives and indicators) to ensure that activities/projects are implemented in accordance with agreed strategies, principles, implementation plans and donor requirements • Ensuring that timely and quality project narrative reports are provided to the donors on time according to donors’ requirement
Administration and Personnel Management, Finance and Logistic • Responsible for project budget and administration, procurement, logistics and storage in collaboration with Head of Administration and Finance (based in Khartoum) • Personnel management: Supervising, capacity building, guiding, participating in training, implementing disciplinary procedures, and recruiting local project staff.
• Ensuring appropriate information regarding safety and security in Nertiti • Ensuring a safety network with all possible stakeholders in Nertiti • Responsibility for safety planning including regular updating of safety and evacuation plans and measures, and implementation of a safety and contingency plan • Ensuring that incidents are reported to the Country Director • Other duties as handed down from the Country Director
• Applicants must hold a University Degree in Community Development or other relevant field.
Starting Date: 1st March 2014
Duty station: Nertiti, Darfur, Sudan. This is a Non-family duty station.
Contract: 12 months, with possibility of extension (subject to funding).
Salary and conditions in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.dk under Vacancies. This position is offered at salary level A10.
You are welcome to contact Head of Unit for Sudan, Scott Tind Simmons, tel +45 3373 5004 or Country Diector in Sudan, Emily Russell, tel +249 123 003 147, for additional information about the position.
Please note that applications are not to be sent to Mr. Tind Simmons. We only accept application sent via our online system accessible at www.drc.dk under Vacancies > Current vacancies > Project Manager – Nertiti, Sudan). Applications sent directly to Mr. Tind Simmons or Ms Russell will NOT be considered.
For information about our work and organisation, please visit our website www.drc.dk.
Application and CV
Only applications with CV and application letter that address the stipulated duties and responsibilities and meet the required qualifications will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
Please send application and CV, in English and marked “Project Manager – Nertiti, Sudan”, no later than 22nd November 2013 via our online application system on www.drc.dk under Vacancies > Current vacancies > Project Manager – Nertiti, Sudan. (Click on the vacancy, then on “Apply” at the bottom of the window that opens).
Please contact email@example.com, if you experience problems with your online application.
Closing date: 22/11/2013